Tuesday, September 27, 2005

cheese and dreams and aphrodisiacs

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/food/s/173/173810_sweet_dreams_are_made_of_cheese.html
(Or google "cheese and dreams"). what more is there to say. cheese is a strong mind manipulator, and now we have some dubious scientific proof that supports my gut instinct. i'd like to add only that i've found that sharp cheddar and apples makes me talkative and also that theessoh seems to find Humboldt Fog an aphrodisiac.

Speaking of aphrodisiacs, while perusing the web like it's my job, this hot restaurant, Manresa in Los Gatos, CA number 38 of the the world's best 50 restaurants (so named by some brits I believe), is currently or was very recently serving up a taleggio oyster amuse bouche. As much as I adore taleggio (despite having made the mistake of eating the rind the first three times I ate it), i can't imagine that this can be any good unless they really manipulated the taleggio beyond my imagination. The reviewer (I believe on chowhound.com), noted that he had to then use the rest of the wine pairings to get the taste of that dish out. think about what (raw) oyster is usually paired with: the strongest taste pairing are the shallots in a mignonette. can anything be quite as different as some gooey taleggio? methinks not. shallots may linger, but they won't coat the tongue. here's my analogy (and i know i haven't had the dish yet so i should bite my tongue), but it would be like salty pepto bismo with an oyster... taleggio rolls on your tongue, coats it with a barnyard sweetness. then you throw a raw oyster there. shudder!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home